At Barnes Wallis Academy we aim to provide each and every one of our students with the guidance and support they need to excel.
Barnes Wallis Academy is a place of learning and excellence where students come first and where everyone is cared for and valued.
The Academy aims to excite learners’ imaginations, extend horizons and meet intellectual needs. We produce resilient, confident, healthy young people with the ability and desire to make the world a better place.
Through a high quality, skills-based education we produce adaptable, independent, employable learners, confident at solving problems and taking responsibility for themselves as citizens in the 21st century. Through a health promoting ethos, Barnes Wallis Academy works to prevent problems and promote well-being by providing opportunities that assist health development and positively influence the aspirations, perceptions and actions of all involved with the Academy.
As part of the local community, the Academy reaches out and supports parents, local health services and other agencies, involving them in programmes and interventions, while in turn contributing to the life of the community. As part of the global community, the Academy instils in its learners an understanding and concern for the global environment and the part individuals have to play in making the world a better place for everyone.
The staff and governors of Barnes Wallis Academy aim to provide a secure, supportive and challenging learning environment that will offer appropriate opportunities for achievement and development for all learners.
Learning is personalised to extend learners’ strengths, identify and support weaknesses and develop skills and strategies to address needs. We work to ensure that all learners feel comfortable, safe and secure no matter what their race, gender, religion or ability.
We aim to provide an environment that will strive to improve the health of our students and Academy personnel, families and community members. We implement policies and practices that respect an individual’s well-being and dignity, provide opportunities for success and acknowledge good efforts as well as personal achievement.
We also aim to support the development of the locality in accordance with the local area developments identified by the town council. We work with local community leaders to positively promote the local area and develop the resources available to the residents. We aim to provide support for parents to access resources and will develop links with health orientated and other agencies to support a sustainable lifestyle for the students and families of Barnes Wallis Academy. We positively promote community and global cohesion.
In order to achieve our aims, we strive to:
- Educate students so that they have the opportunity to reach their potential
- Develop students' self-respect and respect for others
- Provide equality of opportunity, counteracting ignorance, prejudice and discrimination
- Provide a broad curriculum, enabling all students to develop personal aptitudes and interests
- Foster a partnership between home, students and Academy which we believe to be essential for success
- Provide support and guidance to maintain the physical and emotional well-being of all students
- Make education challenging, fulfilling and enjoyable and encourage students to be independent and take an increased responsibility for their own learning
- Implement a high quality staff development programme for all staff which gives the opportunity for professional and career development.
We have high aspirations and ambitions for all our students, which was encapsulated in the strapline of the Academy prior to conversion:
Educational Excellence for the Community
...and echoed in the strapline of ‘Broadening Horizons’ of the sponsors.
We believe that students should be nurtured to achieve their full potential, opening up opportunities for them now and in the future. Where barriers exist which may challenge these beliefs, we use Pupil Premium funding to reduce or eliminate them and maximise a child’s life chances. An above-average proportion of the pupils are eligible for the Pupil Premium.
Our mission is to make a difference through education and care for students' well-being, by providing opportunities and support to achieve and preventing our students from becoming more vulnerable to disadvantage.
Through the environment, the learning experiences and the relationships the students encounter each day, we work to raise their attainment and achievement, providing spiritual, moral, social and cultural guidance to support them to become socially successful positive contributors to their community, both local and wider.
The David Ross Education Trust
- The hallmarks of the Academy will be in line with those of the Trust, which are:
- A house structure to foster a culture of mutual respect and teamwork, where students will develop a sense of ownership, responsibility and pride in their Academy and their community
- An extensive co-curricular offer to broaden opportunity and experience for all students within their
- Academy and across the network and to encourage all students to pursue and excel in an area they are passionate about
- A relentless focus on literacy both written and oral so that all students can access a broad curriculum offer
- Similarly a relentless focus on numeracy so that all students can access a broad curriculum offer
- A uniform code to nurture a sense of identity and responsibility
- A Governing Body and a Principal who exercise their local autonomy effectively in support of the Trust’s aims and to achieve the agreed targets
- A commitment from all staff to delivering excellence and a culture of no excuses - so that every child can achieve.