As a village based school, community links are very important to us and help us to enhance our enrichment schedule.
For a number of years students have helped to provide meals at the luncheon club for elderly people. Outstanding service in this field is recognised by a prize awarded by RAF Coningsby.
Our links with the RAF station continue to grow. In recent years the school choir has been asked to sing Christmas Carols at Christmas functions in the Officers' Mess.
All Year 10 pupils, in their summer term, undertake two weeks work experience. The school is very grateful to businesses and organisations in the immediate and wider community, which provide these placements year after year. We are also indebted to the local Rotary Club for providing 11th year students with interview experience prior to applying to colleges for courses or firms for employment.
The school has a positive attitude to links with industry and a number of local firms have co-operated in undertaking projects to enhance the curriculum.
This term activities include:
The International School Award
We have held the full International School Award from the British Council since 2010.
Barnes Wallis Academy creates and expands opportunities for pupils and staff through its international work within the global citizenship themes of:
- conflict and peace
- sustainable living
- rights and responsibilities
- fairness and equality
- identity and belonging
Our international work has given us the opportunity to develop, improve and learn from new colleagues around the world. For our students, it provides a window into different cultures and countries, preparing them for life in a global society. It promotes positive global attitudes, encourages an appreciation of diversity and promotes global citizenship.
International activities include:
- A pupil exchange with our French partner school, Collège Deparcieux
- A staff exchange to our Indian partner school, Kulachi Hansraj Model School in Delhi
- A Fairtrade workshop for Year 7
- Interact Club fundraising activities for local and international projects
- We Day UK with speakers and performers including Prince Harry, Malala Yousafzai, Al Gore and Richard Branson
- Theatre Company Onatti productions of French plays to our students and those of our feeder primaries
The DRET Team
For further information about the enrichment opportunities that are on offer please contact:
Sport: Shane Ward & Alex Green
Cultural: Jamie Healy
To contact us please call Head office: 01476 566 801